Stiller Blitz Gaming
Log in if you are an existing member, or if you have never been here Register today and head to the Application Forum.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Stiller Blitz Gaming
Log in if you are an existing member, or if you have never been here Register today and head to the Application Forum.
Stiller Blitz Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Performance Increase for AMD/Intel multicore processors!

Go down

Performance Increase for AMD/Intel multicore processors! Empty Performance Increase for AMD/Intel multicore processors!

Post by Espyface Tue May 27, 2014 11:22 pm

My Girlfriends computer always left something to be desired in the FPS category, so after some searching around the interwebs I found this article on the details of increasing performance.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5326613057

Below is the portion that I found the absolute most improvement.

[CHANGE WOW CORE AFFINITY]

WoW will check on startup to see how many cores your CPU has, 2, 4 or 8 (virtual) cores in the case of a Hyperthreaded i7. WoW will then dynamically pick 3 of these cores to use. WoW will generally use Core 0 (the first core, confusing!) along with 2 other cores to process sound, addons etc. You can specify which CPU cores WoW should use by adding the below settings to the config.wtf file within the WTF folder. This can be helpful in the case of hyperthreaded CPUs because if WoW decides to use core 0 and 1 then parts of these overlap due to hyperthreading, additionally WoW usually tries to use core 0 which Windows will also be using for system processes. Since 4.2 WoW "should" use all cores dynamically but altering this setting yourself can improve FPS/loading times - if you see no difference simply take the line out of the config.wtf file and you're back to default.

play around with these settings by adding SET processAffinityMask "XX" within your config.wtf.

Intel:
i7 Quad core with HT - 84 or 252 (252 uses hyperthreading but keeps core 0 free, 84 for use of 3 physical cores)
i5/i7 Quad core which does not have HT - 14
i5 Dual core with HT - 5 (note - wow will default run over both available processors in dual core systems - no gain may be experienced)
Dual core with HT - 5 (note - wow will default run over both available processors in dual core systems - no gain may be experienced)
Dual core without HT - 3 (note - wow will default run over both available processors in dual core systems - no gain may be experienced)
I7 - Hex core (6 logical / 6 virtual) - 1344

AMD:
AMD tri core - 7
AMD quad core ( Phenom series ) - 14
AMD hex core - 56

--------------------------------------------------------
So basically since she had a AMD quad core (phenom), and the associated value is 14, I slapped SET processAffinityMask "14" into the last line of config.wtf in the WTF folder, boom FPS win.
Espyface
Espyface
Admin
Admin

https://sblz.editboard.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum